JP Meeting Minutes
In attendance: Hanny, Jenny P, Meghan, Lauren, Gabi, Lea, Bryce
Absent: Jenny W, Julia
- Usually meeting is on a Tues or Thurs. The following dates will not work: Feb 16, Feb 18th
- Ocean sciences is the week of Feb 22 so that should be avoided
- Notes from last year are on the google drive, Meghan will send out a 1 page summary for the student body to know what has been previously discussed
- Will need to email the student body to ask for what they want discussed
- First weekend of February is preferable. Pending confirmation of availability
- Previous years required payment ($40), perhaps we can use more funds to reduce cost - Check with Julia
- Send out save the data ASAP
- Follow up email with sign-ups, info for MITOC, payment, etc.
- March 14 (MIT), March 15 (WHOI). Students arrive in Cambridge on Sunday
- Kris Kipp will probably handle MIT side of things
- Student usually meets them on Sunday to take them out for dinner
- Ben Jones created list last year for volunteers for events will resend this year
- Lea sent out instructions for Steinbach scholar arrangements
- Start seeking nominations as soon as possible
- When you have your nomination you have to get Meg to approve it
- Get help and delegate!
- They will give an institution talk, a department talk and a student talk
- April 19th the MIT public service center has an event, when students can volunteer for a few (2-4) hours for that day.
- They would love to have a sister event here at WHOI that our students could serve in.
- Event also serves to get student aware of the resources at the Public Service Center, i.e. small 1k grants to fund a service project, or arranging a work-study compensation for long term service commitment.
- Perhaps the younger students do not know about the funding opportunities that are available, may be good to set up an automatic email from the jp-reps acct just to remind ppl of funding opportunities. – approved.